Monday, April 21, 2008

Holy Mass Media!




Okay, so Kyler loves this show, "Rocket." Well, it's actually called "Little Einsteins," but we know it as "Rocket" down here in these parts. He watches this show every day (in my defense, it teaches him all about classical music, fine art, colors, counting and landmarks around the world). So, like every DVD, there are previews, right? Well, I never thought he paid much attention to the commercials before the show, just like I never noticed him paying attention to commercials when I'm watching TV. Tonight, I'm sitting with him and I hear him quietly singing along with the previews for a new movie coming out. The movie? "Enchanted Tales- Princess Stories." He's singing, "I'm more than a peacock princess, I am!" and "I promise! And a princess never breaks a promise!" Of course this is in two-year old language, but still, it was recognizable. Then he says, "We need a little perseverance!" Good right? As he sits down next to me on the couch, "Rocket" comes on the screen. He is very excited as he exclaims, "Going to Egypt? Hieroglyphics!" I can't help but laugh. He loves falling asleep to Rocket. He loves eating with Rocket. We have 5 DVDs, 1 audio CD for the car, and more Rocket clothes and toys than anyone even knew existed. He loves the characters- Leo can do anything, Quincy is "cool" and June is "pretty." (To quote Kyler). But no one holds a candle to his Annie. He has loved her from the moment he saw her, on a treasure hunting episode when he was 1 year old. He sings all of her songs with her and kisses the TV when she comes on. His first love is a cartoon character. (At least he has good taste- she's blonde...) Nothing will ever take him away from her image on the TV...unless of course it's a Red Lobster commercial...

No comments: